"The great success of SpontanBasil was a little unexpected," said Geert Lindemans, Managing Director of Brewery Lindemans. "It got us thinking about what herbs or botanicals would go well with a sour, old gueuze. With the elderflower we went for a more subtle flavour. We are convinced that our BlossomGueuze will be even a tad more accessible."
BlossomGueuze is 2 to 3 year old lambic aged in wood, blended with 12 month old lambic and elderflower. After refermentation in the bottle this gueuze has a golden colour and combines the sour taste of lambic with the natural and fresh aromas of elderflower.
It is an ideal aperitif and also combines well with various dishes. Limited edition: 10,000 bottles. Available from 16 September at the best beer retailers, pubs and restaurants.
"Like all our lambic beers, BlossomGueuze is available in a champagne bottle, sealed with cork and bottle cap," said Dirk Lindemans, cousin of Geert Lindemans and also Managing Director. "For our SpontanBasil we received many compliments about the design of our bottle. So we have done our best to create an equally beautiful bottle for the new BlossomGueuze!"
We asked Thomas Locus, chef-owner of the excellent Michelin-starred restaurant Bistro Margaux to create some appetizers that fit perfectly with the special taste of BlossomGueuze. "It's an ideal aperitif and also combines well with various ingredients such as oysters, fish, pheasant or spring chicken."
We suggest this recipe:
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 4 crunchy whole wheat crackers
- 20 g. Merlot vinegar
- 20 g. water
- 40 g. foie gras
- 20 g. chicken broth
- 20 g. cream
- Some fresh elderflower petals
- 1 gelatine leaf
1. Make a smooth creamy mix of the foie gras, cream and chicken broth. This is subsequently frozen in moulds.
2. Dissolve the gelatine sheet in the Merlot vinegar and the water. Combine with the moulded foie gras.
3. Place the shaped foie gras on the crackers and garnish with fresh elderflower petals.
Other appetizers by Thomas Locus:
- Scallops (Pumpkin - teriyaki -crispy onion)
- Mandarin (Ganache – caramelized biscuit - hazelnut)
BlossomGueuze Launch Event, November 16th 2015